Sunday, June 29, 2008

William the Conqueror had a Gay Kid

Driving across the vastness of nothing.

First I was in Canada for one more beautiful day...












Then, unfortunately and in chronological order:
Montana... North Dakota... Minnesota... AAAAAAGH!
Same prairie, different day.

Yes, it is grandiose in it's emptiness.
Yes I passed by several sites I recognized from reading about the Lakota Wars of the 1870's.

Yes it is too much time alone in my wee head.

Stayed at the Sacajawea Hotel and Inn outside of Nowhere, Montana.

Stayed at the Wagon Wheel Hotel just north of Fargo.

Stayed in my car for 30 HOURS all the way to... Milwaukee!

This roadside dinosaur is the most interesting thing I saw the whole fucking drive.

I am much resolved never to spend that amount of time alone again.


I listened to an audiobook on the entire history of the British Monarchy.
Here is my advice - stop after the House of York. Once you get to the Tudors it's just not that interesting (no offense to the Brititsh).

I realized why I like American history more, especially the revolutionary period. American history seems to be all about lofty ideals and this wacky, crazy experiment in self-government.
I know that's reductive but it's also in large part true.

English history - at least the royal part - is just one rich nobleman or woman backstabbing another in a constant struggle for power which seemed to have very little if anything at all to do with the wellbeing of the common people.

Perhaps I'm being judgmental but that's my impression after making it through all of one book. So uniformed I may be. I'm tearing through Churchill's "History of the English Speaking Peoples" now so perhaps my opinions will change. It's happened before.

I learned a few interesting things tho!

For instance William the Conqueror (the guy in the picture) had a gay son. So if anyone out there has a gay child and is at all chagrined, fret not.

William the fucking Conqueror
had a gay kid too. So relax, you're in good company.




William's kid was William the II but everybody called him Rufus.
That is fucking hilarious.

No comments: