Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Family is Frustrating


I have a family problem.

Without naming names...

One of my female family members won't vote for Obama because, as she says "He's a muslim."

This is easily disprovable but she refuses to look into it.

A male family member is Catholic and pro-life so he won't vote for Obama either.

Of course he ignores the fact that the Pope is virulently against the Iraq war and the death penalty.

2 things John McCain is a cheerleader for.

So apparently my misguided relative thinks it's OK to kill babies as long as they're inside the bodies of living Iraqi women.

BTW - he also thinks that the Democrats sabotaged Sarah Palin's teleprompter during her speech at the RNC.

And no, he's not on crystal meth.

That I know of.

See it wouldn't bother me if my family folk opposed Obama based on even the tiniest grain of truth or perhaps a thoughtful dissent involving policy.

But they don't. They buy into the Hannity, Limbaugh, GOP lie machine without using the critical thinking skills I am so sure they possess.

These thoughts by my kin strike me as close-minded, ignorant and less than vaguely racist.

I can't be friends with people like that anymore, no matter how much DNA we share.

I can't hang out with people who put all their faith in Jesus and not in facts.

I just don't have anything in common with them other than we sort of look alike.

Bummer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OH man, I just came out to my family and that last comment of yours hits home SO hard. (I'm not a kid, 43). They'll vote Rep too. And I feel like I have nothing to say to them anymore.
peace.