Tuesday, November 4, 2008

It's Here!

Election day is here.  As I write this I'm at the Minneapolis airport in transit between NYC and Seattle.

We will hopefully know where this thing is headed by 4:30 Pacific time.

Right now I'm alternating back in forth between feeling confident that my guy (Obama) will win and being riddled with unbearable anxiety.

I even tried to go over to the Larry Craig bathroom and get a blow job to release some pent up angst but I couldn't find the stupid terminal.

Why am I so nervous?

Because I truly believe a McCain victory would be the death knell for the American middle class.

Also I'm scared his Supreme Court Justice appointments would tilt this country so far to the right I wouldn't be able to recognize it again in my lifetime.

Elections are odd things.

I never feel so powerful and yet so powerless as I do on this day.

Last time I was ebullient early, then filled with disbelief and finally resignation as the night wore on.

This time I hope to be exceedingly, obnoxiously gleeful both early, often and late.

We shall see.

At any rate, the momentary thrill I get casting my ballot makes it all worth it.

I am always filled with pride and thankfulness that I'm a citizen of this country every single time I do it.

We were the first nation, the first people to posit the theory that man was capable of rational self-government.

That Democracy did not necessarily lead to devolution into mob rule.

Europe laughed at us when we began this experiment all those years ago.

But we believed that man was not born beastly in his nature, but is kind, thoughtful and capable of perfection.

Let's hope we prove ourselves right.

No comments: